NAVIGATOR, MAY 3, 2011
At the Door-Fred Baker and Warren Philp
1. President David Silliman opened the meeting.
2. Joe Vander Wees played Oh Canada.
3. Bob Tomlinson (a) expressed an appreciation for the District Conference that he recently attended and commended Club member Jim McDonald for his considerable contribution to it, and (b) read Mother Teresa's inspiring "Do it anyway!" quote as the moment of reflection.
4. Warren Philp announced the Visiting Rotarians and Guests; there were no Visiting Rotarians and Guests were Xoli Sithole, Margaret Hajdinjak , and Joanne Tomlinson.
5. Bill Green reported on the very successful Dew Drop Inn last Thursday.
6. Maria Hudolin reported on the Dance for Memories to take place this coming Saturday May 7th, with proceeds to go to the Thunder Bay Alzheimer's Society; guest dancers for the various decades and the Rotary House Band will take part.
7. Cheryl Merlo reported on the Vacation Draw to also take place this coming Saturday; Cheryl and several other Club members spoke regarding the need for a final push regarding this project.
8. Laurie Tulloch presented a cheque to Joanne Tomlinson in support of a community education cause in which she is involved. Then Laurie introduced his Guest Margaret Hajdinjak, who overviewed the Out of the Darkness Memorial Walk (Suicide prevention initiative) of this past May 1st.
9. Kevin Holloway gave a recap of our recent wonderful District 5580 conference that several Club members attended. Regarding the Conference:
. President David described the various awards, including the prestigious "Best Club
in the District 5580" Award, that were presented to our Club.
. Kevin Holloway showed photos taken by Club member Justine Bertrand.
. Jim McDonald overviewed the business and a Memorial that took place.
. David Legge summarized a Conference speaker's presentation on Fetal Alcohol
Spectrum (FAS) Disorder; the speaker's theme was "healthy brains for healthy
children" and Club member Dr. Legge urged our Club to give support to this initiative.
. Justine Bertrand reported on the session about "Club Visioning" that she attended.
. Jim Mucklow introduced guest Xoli Sithole, the Fort William Rotary Club exchange
student, who gave a lively greeting to our Club.
. Pritam Lamba described the enjoyable golf game foursome of which he was part.
. Laurie Tulloch expressed that he enjoyed the Conference and gave a tribute to
District 5580 Governor and Club member Roly Turner who was in meetings there
. Roly Turner explained the "Best Club in the
District 5580" Award as based on achievement in four areas of service and he
presented a corresponding badge to be attached to our Club banner to President
. Jim McDonald presented a Paul Harris plus-5 pin to Roly Turner and a Paul Harris
plus 1 pin to Judy Turner, both members of our Club.
President Dave presents District Governor Roly Turner his
Paul Harris plus 5 oin. Service well beyong Self..guv!
. Roly Turner drew the 50-50 Draw ticket # 984, Jim Colquhoun's ticket; Jim was
unsuccessful in winning the pot.